Tuesday, January 13, 2009

WOW, Just Wow

If there was anything that Kentucky needed to get back into the national spotlight, check out the first thing being shown on Sportscenter tonight.

Jodie Meeks was absolutely unconscious, putting on the best performance I have ever seen in my lifetime out of one Kentucky player. On the way to 54 points, Meeks shattered records set by both Kentucky greats Dan Issel and Tony Delk, nailing ten trifecta's in the process.

Oh, did I mention Kentucky won in Knoxville against a Tennessee team heavily favored to win the SEC?

Did I mention they won by EIGHTEEN?

To be honest, I didn't even have Kentucky pegged to win this game. This was a game I figured Kentucky would probably lose, but now not only has it given Kentucky national recognition, but a marquee win done convincingly against a top team.

Brad Nessler and Jimmy Dykes were both calling for Kentucky to be ranked after this game and for Jodie to be in the mix for Player of the Year consideration. Nessler even made the comment that in the 17-18 years he has covered basketball at ESPN, he had never seen a performance like this out of one player.

For those thinking Kentucky will likely be one of the last teams into the tournament (Joe Lunardi, I am looking at you), if Kentucky builds off of this momentum, I could see them going no lower than a 6 seed.

I will try to have another update ready by the weekend following the Georgia game. Let's hope Jodie lights up Stegeman Colliseum like he did Thompson-Boling Arena tonight.

No comments: