Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Looking to Sunday

Just finished watching UNLV pull off the upset of Louisville at Freedom Hall. As much as I wanted to see the game go to triple overtime so the Cards would be worn down come Sunday, I do see a reason for hope. Catch Louisville on a bad shooting night, and the game could be close.

I did find it ironic that Pitino bolted for the tunnel right as the game concluded instead of staying on the court to shake hands with Lon Kruger and his team. The players were classy enough to stay out, why didn't Pitino?

My prediction:

I look for more fight this year compared to last. Pitino's comments earlier in the season regarding Gillispie should fuel the fire for a Kentucky team that is looking for its first quality win of the season.

Louisville on the other hand will be on the rebound after this close loss tonight and given the game is at Freedom Hall, Kentucky still is the team who has to prove their case.

Louisville by 5-10.

Week in Review:

  • I did get my wish Monday night. DeAndre Liggins got the start and did exactly as I expected, and the entire starting cast was yanked after Central Michigan built up a 13-4 lead. Hopefully this will be a humbling experience that leads Liggins to buy into the coaches gameplan.
  • Landon Slone is quite possibly establishing himself as the best on ball defender on the team. His defense and spark off the bench allowed Kentucky to claw back into the Central Michigan game early on. Add him to the list of candidates to emerge as the mysterious third scorer behind Patterson and Meeks.
  • A team that I look for to be a tough conference out made its case earlier this week with a 96-88 victory against Oklahoma. Arkansas, led by Paintsville native and former Kentucky great John Pelphrey, is well on its way and is likely going to be a team that will give the Cats trouble come SEC play.

I will have commentary available after the Louisville game on Sunday night, if not then by Monday.

No comments: